March 4, 2010

Chunky Rice



About six years ago my best friend, Adam, gave me the book called Good-Bye, Chunky Rice, by Craig Thompson. Adam had recently flaked out on me a few times, and I guess giving me this book was his way of making it up to me. I'm sure he had some idea that I would like this book, but I'm not sure he knew just how much. I have read it so many times, made other people read it, read everything else by Craig Thompson that I could find, and I may or may not have a tattoo of one of the pictures posted above on my right arm. The story is about two best friends, Chunky Rice and Dandel, moving apart to go on new adventures and find where they belong. It is sort of fitting since Adam and I have lived in the same city, then different cities, then the same one again, and now different cities. At the time we had no idea how much the story would reflect our friendship. Anyways, this really isn't even my favorite book by Craig Thompson, just the most sentimental.
I love his book Carnet de Voyage, that's my favorite. It is sort of a travel diary turned into a graphic novel. The story and illustrations are beautiful and introspective. He is visiting all of these incredible places and meeting interesting people. Yet, he is still so melancholy and lonely. His honesty is what makes this book so special me. He is best known for his book Blankets, a story about first love and his religious beliefs. I am looking forward to a few new ones that are in the works, Habibi and Kissypoo Garden. You can find out more about the author and see more of his drawings right here.

p.s. Adam, the answer to the question you inscribed in the book is, yes. I will go with you, but where to?

3 comments:

  1. What did I write? I don't remember. Also, I didn't realize I gave that to you as a "I'm sorry" gift. No wonder so many people thought we were dating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked out this book from the Arden Hills Library last time I was home and then I lost it. I was VERY worried. Forget the bills, forget rent, I just had to make sure the kids of New Brighton, Arden Hills, and Roseville had Chunky Rice back! Months later Erik found it while packing up his Mpls apartment and returned it for me safe and sound. Thank God!! Afterwards he visited your mom across the street; they had hot tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mandy,

    Felt bad about ditching you a few times. I bought you this book cause I thought you might like it. I've never read it. But his other stuff is good. Basically, what I'm saying is: will you go with me? Yes or no?

    -Adam
    July '92

    ReplyDelete