June 24, 2012

Astrid Kirchherr



I don't exactly know where to begin when talking about this woman. For those who know who she is, well you know. For those who don't know, I'm pretty sure this blog post won't do her justice. I became aware of her when I was about fifteen and going through a serious Beatles obsession. She was the first woman to ever break them up...well sort of. She broke up the original Beatles not the Beatles that we all know and love. She took some of the first band photos of them, while they were living in Hamburg. She was also responsible for giving them their mop top haircuts just before they left for the States and became huge.


As I was looking through photos of her online today I discovered the graphic novel, Baby's In Black, based on the relationship between Astrid and Stu Sutcliffe. He was an original member of The Beatles and John Lennon's best friend. He left The Beatles to be with Astrid and to pursue painting. I ordered the book today and can't wait for it to get here.

 

There is a really great movie you can watch that came out in the 90's. It's called Backbeat, and I highly recommend it. I haven't watched it in a really long time, but when I was younger I think I watched it at least twenty times. It's all about Astrid and the Beatles.



No comments:

Post a Comment