September 4, 2012

A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall




I woke up last night to the sound of torrential rain. All the windows in the apartment were wide open, and Ryan was in bed next to me. It felt amazing to have him there with me. It hasn't rained much this summer, we're in the middle of a drought. The few times it has rained though have just happened to be on the nights Ryan was out playing records. I can never fall asleep if I know he has to bike home late at night in the rain. I worry too much. 

I have found myself stuck on my bike in the rain more than a few times, too. It has happened while on my way to work. I have gotten completely soaked while the dirt on the street sprays up at me. Biking in the rain isn't fun, and it confuses me to hear people talk about it like it is. To me there is nothing romantic about it, it's just dangerous. 

It was pouring out the morning of our wedding day, and the first thing I thought of when I woke up was that I would be wearing a soaking white dress. Thankfully the rain stopped just before we left our apartment. Our friend, Ben, said it was as if the rain cleaned the city for us that day. I really liked that idea. It was one of the few times I saw the rain from the perspective of someone who, perhaps, likes it. I have never been one of those people, but last night I was. We really needed the rain, and Ryan was sound asleep next to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment