December 17, 2012

Hello 2013, Goodbye 2012












To say the year 2012 was a challenging year would be a major understatement. While I have had some far more difficult years in the past, this one may have taken the cake if it wasn't for my husband being there. He has said that this was his hardest year of all. The silver lining is that we made it through together, even stronger as a couple and we're having a baby! After nearly a year of trying to conceive and a miscarriage over the summer I am so happy to be well into my second trimester, and hopeful that this time it will work out. 

This year has also been full of visits from family and friends, which helped us focus more on how lucky we are to have so many wonderful people in our lives and focus a little less on our struggles throughout the year. It has been a challenging year for us financially as well. Being full-time students and balancing work schedules is very limiting to the amount of money we can make and the amount of time we have to spend with each other and our loved ones. I have learned to remind myself that this is temporary, and that we are working towards something rather than settling into roles that leave us wanting more. We have a had a few serious health scares and struggles with family (both human and pets). So basically what I am saying is that although 2012 really turned around for us in the end, I am more than ready for the year 2013 and what it has in store. 

We have so much to be excited about. We are going to be parents, have our own little family and fall in love in a way that we never have before! My mother is finally going to be a grandmother. This will be the first time since I was in elementary school that I won't have a "job" or have to work for someone. Although I know from experience that being a mom is a lot of work. I never imagined that this was something I would want for myself, but now I can't think of anything I want more. I have spent so much of my time helping to raise other people's children. I'm ready to take what I've learned from those experiences and figure out how to put that to use with my husband in our own way. 

Naturally I am a little apprehensive about putting my career on hold again. Although I feel confidant that I can find my own way to stay connected, continue to learn and be creative, all while focusing on our family. I know that the times I have chosen to put love over my career have truly worked out for the best, completely enriched my life and sent me on a different path leading me to discover and develop completely new aspects of myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment