August 1, 2013

hair pulling & hair cuts








I haven't had a haircut in over a year. Leaving my hair be is a foreign concept to me. My mother was a hair dresser so naturally, or rather unnaturally, my hair was dyed for the first time at the age of three. Throughout my life I've been that girl who has cut her own hair, rocked a shaved head, pink hair, pixie cuts, asymmetrical cuts and super long hair. 

At this point in my life I have been trying to grow it out for a while. My last haircut was such a disappointment that I swore off them for a while. Now my hair is finally getting long again, although with curly hair you can never really tell. It's about half way down my back when it's wet and curls back up to my shoulders when it dries. I'm happy to have long hair again, I haven't in nearly a decade. Here is my dilemma; my adorable, sweet baby is constantly grabbing my hair and pulling on it. I know there are much bigger problems in the world and in the everyday lives of people, but it hurts. 

The obvious solution is to wear my hair in a ponytail or a bun, but it's hard for me to remember to put it up every time I hold my baby. I nurse her in bed, and for comfort reasons I choose to let my hair down during that time. So I'm constantly picking her up and laying her down throughout the day. So I'm trying to decide if I should just go ahead and get a major haircut or try to get used to the daily hair pulling. I can only imagine her little grip is going to keep getting stronger as she grows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment