January 16, 2015

rats, moving, holidays, visits and stuff...






I've been meaning to write, then I get overwhelmed by how long it's been since my last post and how much has been happening. This is the first time I've gone months without posting. It's been 5 years since I started this blog and 3 months since I've posted anything. I'm about to try to describe the last few months as best I can, but they've been a little crazy and are sort of a blur.

To start things off, we moved. To make a very long story short, we discovered rats in our building. There were rats in the walls and in our basement where we did our laundry. I don't even like seeing rats on the street. As a parent, I felt it was my duty to get our child out of that building as fast as possible. We found our current place about 4 hours after we saw the rat and then, with a little poking around, discovered piles of rat shit all around the basement. Sorry for that image. The weirdest part of this whole thing is that the day we saw the rat and found our new place was the same day we were supposed to fly to NYC for our friends' wedding. 

I have moved many, many, many, many times in my life; across the country, out of the country and so on. I can honestly say that moving with a baby just about to start walking and without any family or any of our close friends nearby to help out was the hardest move of all. Throw in jobs, school, a sick teething baby, social obligations, the holiday season and that's what made it all a blur.

We got through it and our apartment is coming together very slowly and very nicely. We hosted our first Thanksgiving together. It was with family and it fell on the same day as our niece's 8th birthday. That made the day extra special. We also celebrated Ryan's birthday in November. Ruby is really into birthdays now. She likes to go through her list of people, characters and animals and wish them all a Happy Birthday. It's very sweet. Ruby started walking. She took her time with that one. She's got such a funny little walk. She holds her hands up close to her chest, sticks out her belly and won't look down. We've had so many visits from friends, since our move. It's always so great seeing old friends and catching up. Some of them met Ruby for the first time. Speaking of firsts, Ruby met Santa for the first time and doesn't stop talking about him. She wishes him Happy Birthday everyday. We also put up our first family Christmas tree.  

This, as in the move, was another one of those situations that makes me so thankful Ryan and I can work so well together under pressure. We got through it, it was super stressful at times. We were actually threatened with law suits for breaking our lease. That's another first. Everything is fine. I've actually been finding more time here and there to get out on my own for little breaks. I've been able to get out for some long walks around the city, met up with some friends, have gone shopping and out to eat by myself. Doing these sorts of things was once such a normal thing and now it feels like such a treat. Ryan and I both have one class left of school each and then we graduate! I have one question before I end this post. How is it 2015? It really sometimes feels like it was just 2010.


No comments:

Post a Comment